What are you waiting for?
For the New Year?
For someone to love you, notice you, admire you?
For you to be thinner, wiser, in shape, better skilled?
For the perfect moment, perfect place, perfect person?
To be perfect yourself?
We all have dreams and ideas. We all would love for them to come to fruition. The only thing separating us from those whose dreams become a reality... is taking action. We have to break the habit of 'waiting' and learn to make the most of the moment we are in. There will never be a better time. There is a Chinese proverb that states "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." You can get caught up in recriminations about not having taken action sooner or you can simply begin. Now is better than never.
For many of us, our fears serve to hold us back and prevent us from fulfilling our dreams. Two of the biggest and most common fears that limit our success are the Fear of Failure and the Fear of Rejection. However, giving in to these fears creates hesitation and indecision instead of action. We can learn to conquer our fears by cultivating a habit of courage, the courage to take action.
The following ideas are offered as suggestions, ideas and perspectives to help you narrow the gap between your intentions and your actions. Use these as a guide to help you shift from inaction to action, to help in moving out of the 'waiting room'.
1. Don't wait for 'Perfect'. There is no perfect person, time or place. There will always be something that is not 'right'. If you focus on what is 'missing', rather than everything that is there, you will never be satisfied and will therefore never move forward. Focus instead on everything that is 'right' about the opportunity and your skills. Recognise when things are 'good enough' to move forward. Conditions will never be perfect, but they will often be good enough to get started. Use your actions to help drive them closer to the perfection you seek.
2. Do. Build your confidence, your track record, your experience, and your action-taking-muscles by simply Doing-Stuff. Taking action and getting things done is the best proof of your ability that there is. You can't just think about doing, you need to take action. The longer that ideas sit in your head the weaker and more distant they become. The more that you learn to take action, the easier that taking action becomes.
3. Deal with your Fears by Taking Action. One of the best cures for your fears is to simply push through them by taking action. It is typically all of our 'worrying' that feeds our fears. Taking action eliminates the worry, teaching us that things were not as bad as we had made them out to be. A great lesson to take forward when we challenge other fears that are holding us back.
4. Ideas Alone Don't Bring Success. It is not your ideas that make you successful but the implementation of them. An average idea - acted upon - will take you further than a dozen brilliant ideas that are simply taking up head space.
5. Shift What Ifs to Why Nots. What ifs are worries. These are thoughts of 'what if this happens?' that hold us back. In an effort to avoid them we fail to take action. Instead, shift your 'what if' scenarios to 'why not' scenarios. Why not try? Why not you?
6. Small Steps. Instead of thinking of the giant step needed to shift you from here to there, break it down into small, manageable steps. When we view 'everything', all at once, it can seem daunting. However, look only to what you can do Now. What is one small step that you can take - right now - that moves you forward. Do it. Then look for the next small step you can take... and repeat. Every small forward step takes you closer to your goal.
You have dreams, you have ambitions, you have ideas waiting to be implemented. There will never be a better time. If you are not currently moving forward on fulfilling your dreams then it is time to seriously ask yourself... What am I waiting for? Listen to the answer and then take steps to eliminate those barriers, giving you a clear path to truly achieving everything you want from your life.