"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become actions. Watch your actions, for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become your character. And watch your character for it becomes your destiny. What we think we become" Margaret ThatcherThe following list represents my Top 5 Toxic Tips... the five thoughts that you need to begin corralling and controlling now to Detox your Mind.
1. Stop the Victim Mentality. Thinking like a victim (that things happen 'To' you) puts you immediately at the control and mercy of others. They seem to have control over what you feel and what you are experiencing. Shape your world by shaping your experiences. How you respond to events around you is always within your control. Take back this power and use it to create experiences that serve you, not restrict you.
2. Eliminate all of the could-haves, would-haves and should-haves from your vocabulary. Each one of these highlights something we missed, that we lack, that we aren't. Instead, focus on the choices you did make that led you to experience something positive, that helped you develop and grow a new skill, that provided you with an opportunity you would have missed otherwise. The moment we make a choice we have something that we did not choose, just as we have something we did. Focus instead on the choices you made and what you gained, rather than on what you missed out on as a result of the choice.
3. Learn to accept 'What Is'. There are some things in life that are not within our control to change. Death and Taxes are two! Any time spent wishing or hoping they were different is a waste. Accept these, build plans around them, move on, and focus on the elements that you can change to improve your outcome. The words of the Serenity Prayer become your mantra for this Toxic Tip... "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference".
4. Begin fertilizing on your side of the fence. Stop thinking everyone else's grass is greener. Time spent envying others is never positive. Instead, put that time into doing what it takes to create the yard and life you want. You can have what others do if you are willing to invest the same time and effort. If you are, get on with it. If you aren't, stop whining about it.
5. Stop Worrying about What Others Think. Trying to make choices that satisfy everyone in your life is futile. You can't possibly please 'em all, leaving you feeling badly about everything. Instead, focus on making choices that serve you best. Likely they will prove to also satisfy the majority. Too much time is spent worrying about what others may think, only to find that they hadn't cared about the outcome of the decision in the first place.
"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" Eleanor RooseveltSpending time in Detoxing your Mind is a positive investment in... you! Eliminating the garbage that accompanies all of the negative thoughts opens your mind to new possibilities and ways of thinking. Definitely a winning strategy for more success and happiness in your life. Surely a worthwhile investment to make.