- You will write that book... Someday
- You will take that vacation... Someday
- You will start that exercise program... Someday
- You will learn to speak a second language... Someday
- You will go for that promotion... Someday
We have all heard ourselves say this at one point or another, but it's important to recognise the negative influence that the word 'Someday' has upon our accomplishments, experiences and dreams. It is a form of procrastination. While Procrastination is the habit of putting off something that you need to do, but don't want to do, the Someday Syndrome has you putting off something that you want and dream of doing. Why would we and do we do this to ourselves?
Our use of the word 'someday' becomes an excuse to not take action, serving almost as a 'free pass' of sorts because we are not openly denying that we'll take action, we are simply deferring it to some later point in time.
Our Somedays then come to represent the collision between our good intentions and ideas, with our excuses.
We are fooling ourselves into believing that we will get to it eventually. However, every someday lacks a specific 'start' time, resulting in us simply waiting for 'someday' to come around. Our weeks have a lot of 'days' in them but... none are named 'Some' and we therefore keep waiting for the right day to roll around.
Instead, we need to shift Someday to This-day. When is a good time to start, if not now? Use the following steps and ideas to help you eliminate the Someday Syndrome from your life!
- Set a specific start date. When are you going to start? If not now... when? Setting a specific date helps to make the intention firm.
- Write it down and tell people of your intention. If you really want to make this happen, create some accountability.
- Create a plan. Map out the specific action steps you will take to making your ideas and visions a reality. They don't need to be big steps, but you do need to create a plan detailing 'how' you're going to turn your someday into reality.
- Get support. There is certainly no rule that says we have to do things alone. Get support for your journey or find someone who is also interested in shifting their Someday to This-day and get them started with you. Having others who support your intention makes it easier to push on through the difficult moments.
Turn all of those Someday dreams into reality by shifting the way you think about them. If there is Some-thing you are thinking of doing Some-day then you need Some-one (you!) to step up and take action, shifting Some-day to This-day if not to To-day!